Monday, March 15, 2010

day 5

Have been very busy over the last few days so I haven't had the chance to blog. I am going to use my last night here when I have some downtime to catch up. Saturday (day 5) Lidie and I were both at a rural clinic called Delmar 103. Basically it's like 1st st., 2nd st., and so on but Delmar runs through about 120 or so. We set up clinic in a house that was unoccupied (as almost all houses are now). Lidie and I were working with Dr. Nick Abbey (pediatrician from Colorado) in the pediatrics room. The most interesting cases we saw were a 1 yr. old girl who had been sexually abused. Her mom brought her in because she had left her with an older lady and when she picked her up she was bleeding from her vagina and had been bleeding for a month. After examination we determined that she had been sexually abused. Mom was obviously overwhelmed and we were able to give her some formula and diapers to take home with her. We also had a 12 year old girl who was malnourished and needed a fluid bolus. We also gave her a huge bag of food and supplies to take home. Today it really hit me how much the children of haiti are suffering from post traumatic stress. So many of the kids have such a flat affect and so many came in today for learning problems, lack of social interest, poor appetite. When I came here I expected to see the majority of the people living in tents of on the street. What i saw was "Everyone" living in tents or on the street. Out of the millions of people in haiti, there are so few people with an actual roof over their head.

No comments:

Post a Comment